Key West attracts travelers not just from all over the U.S., but from all over the world. Many of the people you will see there come from places as far away as Russia, Asia, and Australia. If you are heading to Key West, Florida for the first time, there are a few things you should know to get the most out of your vacation.
First off, we recommend that you fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami then rent a car and drive through the Keys to Key West. The drive is unbelievable! It is about a 4-5 hour drive, but along the way you will come across amazing beach bars and restaurants to take breaks at. You will also cross over many bridges, some spanning over 8 miles! We also recommend renting a convertible to get the most of this mini road trip. Scared your luggage won’t fit? Don’t worry, we can help with that! Luggage shipping to Key West is a breeze.
Also, make sure your hotel is close to Duval Street. This is where all the action is. With plenty of restaurants, bars and hotels, this part of the island is the most popular and it will benefit you to be within walking distance if you decide to not rent a car. However, it can be loud at night so make sure you pick a hotel that is not directly on the strip.
The top 10 things to do in Key West:
- Go to the Southernmost Point. Some locals deem the people who visit this place “the Southernmost tourists,” but nevertheless, it is a cool picture.
- Go to Kermit’s Key Lime Shoppe. It’s a key lime shop and is famous for their key lime pies. They also have key lime wine, BBQ sauce, dips, pie and even soap.
- If you love the ocean, boats, live music and fun, then the Commotion on the Ocean Tour by Fury is perfect for you. Key West already has some of the best sunsets in the world and this boat tour takes you out to get some of the best views. While you are getting out to the perfect spot to take pictures, there is a live band, unlimited drinks, and appetizers.
- Go on the Ultimate Island Tour by Fury. This is a jet ski tour around the island and is 28 miles long. This is a much better way to jetski rather than renting one for an hour. You take a few stops and the guide tells you about the island and marine life.
- Take the trolley tour. The trolley tour is a 2 hour tour around the island and you can get on and off at any stop you like and the trolley will come by every 40 minutes. It’s a great way to see all of the sights and you can pick which ones you want to have more time at.
- If you decide to fly right into the Key West airport and don’t rent a car, rent a scooter instead! It’s a great way to get around the Island.
- Go to the Ernest Hemingway Home. Built in 1851, it is a gorgeous step back in time. You can take a tour of the house and beautiful garden. If you love cats, this is perfect for you as there are over 40 cats on the property all originating from Hemingway’s cats he lived with while he was there.
- Go to the Key West Lighthouse. If you want a budget friendly activity, take a tour of the grounds and walk the 88 steps to the top of the lighthouse for amazing views of the island.
- The 0 mile marker. If you are from the Northeastern U.S. you will love this. This marks the beginning and end of Route 1 that winds its way all the way up 2,390 miles to Fort Kent, Maine.
This doesn’t even cover the many things you can do while on the island. For more activities check out more attractions on TripAdvisor.
To book a luggage shipment to Key West, click here!